THE CASTLE MANIACS
It's time to start your adventure
The Castle Maniacs tour is for those that love castles, Scottish history, myth and adventure.
1-day tour, duration 11hrs
- You depart at 0815 or similar by arrangement from your hotel in Edinburgh and make your first stop at Doune Castle. A medieval stronghold and Royal residence, it has featured extensively on the silver screen including Monty Python’s Holy Grail and more recently, Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. You stop here for 45 minutes to allow enough time to tour this site.
- If you would rather spend your time in the centre of Doune where you can enjoy one of the cafes, it is just a short stroll to the centre of the village from the castle.
- From here, you travel over the Highland boundary fault line and stop for a photo of our first Highland loch, Loch Lubnaig.
- You continue your journey to visit Kilchurn Castle, a 16thC ruin, picturesquely situated at the top of Scotland’s longest Loch, Loch Awe. It’s well worth making the fifteen-minute walk to the castle which has real atmosphere and presence and is surrounded by towering mountains.
- After this, your tour heads south to the pretty whitewashed 18thC town of Inverary. Set on Scotland’s Atlantic west coast, we stop here for an hour to allow you time to get some lunch, perhaps a little shopping or if you would rather, visit Inverary Castle (April to October) or historic Inverary Jail (open all year), the interesting 18thC town prison and courthouse.
- Next, you travel to Loch Lomond stopping in another gem of a village, Luss. Wander through the early 19thC streets to the pier for a wonderful vista of Loch Lomond and the tallest mountain in sight, Ben Lomond or fit in a little shopping perhaps.
- Finally, you return directly to Edinburgh, stopping briefly directly under the fortress of Stirling Castle, returning to your accommodation in the early evening. A very popular day tour with good reason, highly recommended.