ROYAL & ANCIENT
It's time to start your adventure
An ancient university, breath-taking medieval ruins, the Royal Palace of Falkland and quaint coastal villages, all rolled into one great adventure.
1-day tour, duration 9hrs
- We collect you from your hotel, cruise ship berth or elsewhere and travel to view our latest UNESCO World Heritage site, the Forth Railway Bridge.
A hugely impressive engineering structure and Scottish icon, this bridge dates from 1890 connecting Edinburgh and the Lothians to the Kingdom of Fife.
- You then travel to the harbour town of Anstruther with its attractive whitewashed houses and winding cobbled streets, stopping for coffee and perhaps a short walk along the harbour wall.
- Our next stop will be to the magnificent town of St Andrews, the “home of golf, “and home to the ancient University, where Prince William met Kate when they were students here. You shall stop by the Old Course and West Sands beach to take photos, before dropping you into the centre of the town.
- You are here for two and a half hours and you can enjoy local seafood, explore the streets and closes, visit the Castle, Cathedral or Harbour, or perhaps the local museum. Excellent shopping possibilities in St Andrews too. It’s a super town which we are sure you will love.
- After your time here, you travel to the historic village of Falkland. At its heart is Falkland Palace and Gardens, a 16thC Royal Hunting Palace for our Scottish Kings and Queens of the time, the Stuarts. There are also the ruins of a 12thC castle in the grounds.
- Enjoy the furnished palace and the colourful gardens, and marvel at the oldest Royal Tennis court in the world. This is an unusual game which is perhaps a combination of tennis and squash. You really must Google this!
- Leaving here in the late afternoon, you return to your accommodation in central Edinburgh at around 6pm. Tiny Tartan Tours really love taking our guests on the Royal and Ancient tour!