THE NEAR EAST
It's time to start your adventure
If you would like to visit a charming corner of Scotland without travelling too far, this is the tour for you. The Near East tour has so much to offer.
1-day tour, duration 8.5hrs
- We collect you from your hotel and travel to the gorgeous village of Dirleton with two village greens and a splendid ruined medieval castle at its heart. If you would rather, we could visit Tantallon castle instead which is simply magnificent.
- North Berwick is your next stop, a bustling seaside town with two sandy crescent-shaped beaches. There is an excellent seabird centre which would be well worth a visit, or you could climb Berwick Law, a volcanic hill from which there are amazing views. Finding somewhere for lunch will be no problem and you must try the famous Luca’s ice cream!
- You then travel to either Myreton Motor Museum, with its unique collection of vintage vehicles and period advertising material, or to the National Museum of Flight, where you can climb aboard one of the few remaining Concordes.
- Next, you visit the Royal Burgh of Haddington, the County Town of East Lothian. With its medieval and Georgian buildings, this is an architectural gem. You can explore the town on foot, visit the 15thC St Mary’s Church, the largest parish church in Scotland, and perhaps have a cup of tea or enjoy a spot of shopping. You then return to your accommodation in Edinburgh or elsewhere by prior arrangement.
- We have suggested including in the itinerary either the National Museum of Flight or Myreton Motor Museum, but if these do not appeal to you there are many alternatives. For instance, you could choose to visit the grand 18thC Newhailes House and Gardens, the pretty Preston Mill, an 18th Century restored watermill which featured in a scene in Outlander, Glenkinchie Whisky Distillery or Belhaven Brewery in Dunbar. Dunbar is the birthplace of the famous ecologist John Muir, best known for establishing Yosemite National Park in the USA.